Listen to Side Hustle School:
On January 1, I began a new project: to share a story every day of someone who starts an income-generating project (a “side hustle”) without quitting their day job.
The project failed and I decided to give up. Just kidding! We are relentlessly moving along, publishing story after story—and it’s getting better and better!
I recently completed the first
100 200 300 days. There’s much more to come, but I’m excited about everything I’ve learned since beginning back in January.
If you’re just joining in, you can also catch up on any recent episode from the links below.
Download all episodes from each month:
Side Hustle School – Week 15:
- Ep. 101 – Subscription Box Service Delivers Candy From Japan: An expat living in Japan packages candy twice a month and sends it around the world to hundreds of people who pay $29/month.
- Ep. 102 – Famous Iphone Photo Leads To Series Of Online Courses: A 365-day photo project transitions to a hustle teaching small business owners how to create videos using their smartphones.
- Ep. 103 – Data Scientist Starts Science Fiction Magazine: A Colorado scientist publishes a science fiction magazine and builds it to a sustainable income of $1,800/month, funded largely by his readers.
- Ep. 104 – Show Me The Honey: Houston Beekeeper Buzzes To $4,000/Month: In this buzzworthy episode, a Texas woman creates a $4,000/month side hustle as an advocate for sustainable honeybee habitats.
- Ep. 105 – Mindreading Performer Goes From Dorm Room To Paid Corporate Gigs: A fascination for why people think helps a performing artist shift from earning $2,000 for college shows to $20,000 for corporate events.
- Ep. 106 – Weekly Recap: Japanese Candy, Museum Hacks, And Killer Bees: In our fifteenth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 16:
- Ep. 107 – Snuggling For Dollars: It’s Not What You Think: A New England engineer earns a part-time income of more than $1,000 a month by helping people reconnect through personal touch.
- Ep. 108 – Bikini Model Creates Multi-Million Swimsuit Line: A swimsuit model uses industry connections and social media savvy to launch a high-end shopping site taking on major swimwear companies from the beaches of Miami.
- Ep. 109 – Quick Research Leads To Meal Planning Subscription Service: Healthy meal planning can be rough. One man is on a mission to help people be more health-conscious with his subscription-based website selling meal prep recipes.
- Ep. 110 – Social Worker Turns De-Stressing Hobby Into $2K/Month Hustle: A lifelong crafter who makes jewelry to cope with the stress of working in the mental health field launches an Etsy store and gets her items featured on several major TV shows.
- Ep. 111 – Organic Chemist Earns Six Figures Blogging For Pre-Med Students: After witnessing the struggles that many students have with one of college’s most challenging subjects, a chemist creates a blog to help bridge the gap in knowledge.
- Ep. 112 – The 10-Minute Workout Gym: A Nashville insurance executive who hates exercising opens a gym modeled on working out for only 10 minutes at a time.
- Ep. 113 – Weekly Recap: Meal Planning, Swimsuits, And Snuggling: In our sixteenth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 17:
- Ep. 114 – Entrepreneur Reads Tea Leaves To Launch Subscription Hustle:A New York-based consultant brews his need for energy into a tea delivery service that offers customers a chance to discover new tea varieties each month.
- Ep. 115 – Graphic Designer Turns Side Hustle Into $80K Project: A longing for expression and self-love pushes one woman into a successful side hustle helping others live more fulfilling lives through the practice of breathwork.
- Ep. 116 – Delicious Cookies Arrive At My Door In Portland, Oregon: A late night craving evolves into a cookie delivery service spreading chocolate chip goodness throughout the land.
- Ep. 117 – Shopify Employee Manufactures Handmade Desk Accessories: A couple brings their love of handmade wooden accessories, technology, and design to life with a side hustle manufacturing handmade wooden desk accessories and phone cases.
- Ep. 118 – Los Angeles Designer Runs Mobile Yoga Studio: An on-location, by appointment yoga studio helps a UX designer earn an additional $40,000 a year working only a few hours each week.
- Ep. 119 – “ Cosplay” Photographer Earns $47,000 From Epic Star Wars Portraits: A Texas photographer combines his love for art and science fiction to add magic to his photography specializing in cosplay and all things geek.
- Ep. 120 – Weekly Recap: Midnight Cookie Delivery, Phone Cases, & Tea Leaves: In our seventeenth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 18:
- Ep. 121 – House Arrest Leads To $500,000 Food Truck And Catering Hustle: While serving time after a run-in with the law, one man and his cousin get creative in the kitchen, then launch a successful food truck, catering, and restaurant business in rural Pennsylvania.
- Ep. 122 – Dog Lover Turns At-Home Baking Into Barking Business: A Michigan-based dog owner uses her baking hobby to launch a gourmet, healthy dog treat business, and her dogs make no bones about how much they love them!
- Ep. 123 – “Uber For Lawn Care” Mows Down The Competition: Four friends take a whack at the lawn care industry’s weeds and find ways to better connect vendors and customers.
- Ep. 124 – Hand-Stamped Feminist Jewelry Earns $25,000 Side Income: She’s loud, she’s proud, and she’s wielding a hammer to smash the patriarchy with her hand-stamped feminist jewelry line.
- Ep. 125 – Blogger Shifts From Products To Sponsorships, Makes $82,000: Sometimes a shift is all you need to get on the right track. This blogger was able to get out of debt and make $82,000 last year while working two hours a day before and after his real job.
- Ep. 126 – “Sign Hustle” Biz Produces $50,000/Year With No Expenses: A Tennessee man starts a low-tech, low-stress side hustle and creates a substantial side income working only on the weekend. No website needed!
- Ep. 127 – Weekly Recap: Barking Up The Right Tree: In our eighteenth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 19:
- Ep. 128 – Epic Scavenger Hunt Becomes 6-Figure Income: An event planner creates a competitive scavenger hunt game that takes place across Boston. Can you really make money while having so much fun?
- Ep. 129 – College Buddies Create $15,000 Bow Tie Hustle: After making the decision to upgrade their wardrobes, two Virginia college students start a bow tie side hustle.
- Ep. 130 – Resourceful College Dropout Earns Two Paychecks From One Employer: A corporate employee takes charge over a new branch of the company he works at and ends up creating a second income for himself. Don’t fire your boss… get them to pay you twice!
- Ep. 131 – Equine Lover Makes $5,000; Stables Business To Change Horses In Midstream: A former NASA employee with an unbridled enthusiasm for horseback riding changes her hustle strategy and proves she’s no one trick pony. We’re not horsing around!
- Ep. 132 – Hair Salon Owner Designs Mittens For Cold Runners: An avid runner has a difficult time finding gloves or mittens that feel comfortable enough for running while also keep her fingers warm in the winter. She decides to make her own and pursues a patent for her idea.
- Ep. 133 – Psychologist Earns $74,000 Helping Students Make The Cut: After overcoming childhood barriers, Shirag Shemmassian leveraged his educational success to launch an admissions assistance side hustle.
- Ep. 134 – Weekly Recap: Scavenger Hunts, Bow Ties, & Horses: In our nineteenth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 20:
- Ep. 135 – British Man Builds Terrariums For £600 Monthly Profit: An avid plant collector in the UK makes the most out of a temporary unemployment situation by building and selling glass terrariums.
- Ep. 136 – Corn Syrup Allergy Leads To Booming Baked Goods Biz: After a doctor diagnoses her husband with a corn syrup allergy, a healthcare analyst mixes up a line of healthy, sweet baked goods that turns into a stable second income.
- Ep. 137 – Australian Hacker Creates Passive Income Anatomy Course: A web developer develops an audio system that helps medical students memorize human anatomy. Seven years later, it still produces $800/month in profit.
- Ep. 138 – Hip Hop Glitter Pendants Sell $60,000 On Instagram: A web developer and a faceless artist in Florida team up with celebrities on Instagram to promote hip hop glitter pendants. Thug life has never looked so shiny!
- Ep. 139 – Florist & Sculpture Professor Make Presidential Lip Balm: Adventures in creating homemade presents for friends and family lead a Beyoncé-obsessed duo to lip balm world domination. Bonus: learn Abraham Lincoln’s favorite dessert recipes.
- Ep. 140 – Oncology Nurse Creates Products To Regrow Hair After Chemo; Earns $80,000: After kicking cancer to the curb, a Texas oncology nurse discovers the power of essential oils for hair regrowth and launches her own handmade hair care line.
- Ep. 141 – Weekly Recap: Baked Goods, Terrariums, And Hip Hop: In our twentieth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 21:
- Ep. 142 – High-School French Teacher Earns $8,000 Writing & Selling Curriculum: A busy high-school teacher uploads more than 600 digital products to a peer-to-peer sharing site, where she’s paid a royalty for each sale.
- Ep. 143 – Savvy Sleeper Pillowcases Produce Dreamy Profits For Tech Worker: Tired of battling split ends and hair breakage, a fashion and lifestyle blogger switches to satin pillowcases. She then learns to make and sell her own, earning six-figures annually.
- Ep. 144 – Orthodontist Spends $500 In Facebook Ads; Produces $65,000 In New Revenue: When a marketing pro discovers a lack of efficient online marketing in the medical industry, he helps a new client bring in 13 new patients and $65,000 in new revenue with the help of Facebook Ads.
- Ep. 145 – Operations Manager Manages To Make Heavy Furniture Light: A Maine university employee uses her logistical savvy to deliver IKEA enthusiasts their goods at greatly reduced rates.
- Ep. 146 – Mom & Son Create ‘comfy Cup’ Support For Young Athletes: A Kansas City-area mom and her 10-year-old son invent an unconventional (but essential) product for young male athletes that brings in more than $5,000 a month.
- Ep. 147 – Vintage Pinup Photography Turns Graphic Designer Into High-Earner: A love of 1920s-style photography allows a Texas woman to leave her day job and bring in multiple six-figures with classic “recreations” of a faraway time.
- Ep. 148 – Weekly Recap: What Was Your Biggest Side Hustle Failure?: In our twenty-first weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 22:
- Ep. 149 – Balloon Artist’s Poppin’ Business Nets $1,200 Monthly: A South Carolina native turns his college hobby of entertaining with balloons into a profitable balloon performance, décor, and delivery side hustle.
- Ep. 150 – Diamond In The Rough: Engagement Ring Hunt Turns Into Hustle: A search for the perfect engagement ring leads a software engineer in Baltimore on a mission to discover the algorithm for the ideal sparkly diamond. Along the way, he creates an affiliate side hustle with major potential.
- Ep. 151 – Immigrate To Canada And Make $500/Month: An American couple takes their biggest struggle of recent years and writes an eBook to help other expatriates forge a new life abroad.
- Ep. 152 – Speech Language Pathologist Pulls Profits From Paintshop Pro: Digital scrapbooking is a big industry. By learning to create “scripts” that make scrapbookers’ work more efficient, today’s featured hustler has created a sustainable second income.
- Ep. 153 – It Manager Unlocks The Secrets To A Successful Etsy Shop: Always up for a challenge, this IT manager discovers what it takes to stand out on Etsy, and creates a vintage antique style shop bringing in an extra $1,000-2,000 a month.
- Ep. 154 – Weekend “book Registry” Site Earns Passive Income From Amazon.Com: After a discovering a trend on Pinterest where expecting mothers ask for baby books in lieu of greeting cards at baby showers, a developer in Pennsylvania decides to create a book registry website to cater to it bringing in a new stream of passive income.
- Ep. 155 – Weekly Recap: Engagement Rings, Balloon Art, And Immigration: In our twenty-second weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 23:
- Ep. 156 – Army Veteran Makes $650,000 Advertising Apps: A Wisconsin native hits the jackpot with his smart approach to blogging, bringing in multiple six figures with nearly zero overhead costs.
- Ep. 157 – NYC Office Manager Moonlights As Creative, Cash-Collecting Ceramist: Unique, renewable production techniques help a ceramics enthusiast land her products in a Michelin starred restaurant in the heart of the Big Apple.
- Ep. 158 – Urban Hiker Climbs To Steep Success In San Francisco: A project manager turns a passion for her city into a substantial side income of $50,000 a year.
- Ep. 159 – “Airbnb For Beer”: Digital Nomad Brews Up Frosty Profits: A brewing innovator bridges the gap between local breweries eager to make money off of their idle equipment and event planners who want to create their own customized beer.
- Ep. 160 – Radio Personality Channels Her Vocal Cords For Extra Income: How a professor-by-day and former radio announcer makes a handsome side profit selling her most natural and accessible tool: her voice.
- Ep. 161 – Fashionista Blogs Her Way To Career Success: A thirty-four-year-old fashionista in New York City finds a way to turn the economic crisis into an opportunity promoting affordable fashion while bringing in a profit to keep her flush in designer looks.
- Ep. 162 – Weekly Recap: What Prevents You From Making Progress?: In our twenty-third weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week of Side Hustle School and read some listener emails!
Side Hustle School – Week 24:
- Ep. 163 – Flight Attendant Touches Down On $50,000 Super Bowl Profit: A Dallas-based flight attendant discovers a way to capitalize on the football craze by providing rentals for the big game and making herself and nearby homeowners a slice of the money pie.
- Ep. 164 – Building A Side Hustle While Battling A Chronic Illness: A master of time management helps other female entrepreneurs learn to automate the tasks they face every day while creating a flexible second income that pays for her medical bills each month.
- Ep. 165 – Spanish-Language Bible App Generates 1 Million Downloads: Opportunity knocks for a Utah accountant and leads to a fortuitous side hustle making $70,000 in one year with a $0.99 app.
- Ep. 166 – Mental Health Counselor Creates Coping Skills For Kids: A Licensed Mental Health Counselor brings in an additional $1,100/month creating digital products to help kids deal with stress, anxiety, and anger in healthy and productive ways.
- Ep. 167 – Indian Personal Finance Blogger Rings Up $4,000/Month: Writing about money-saving hacks and passive income for readers in India yields big money for a software company employee.
- Ep. 168 – A Side Hustle With Succulent Growth Potential: A Houston mom digs into a side gig with creative and community benefits.
- Ep. 169 – Weekly Recap: Super Bowl, The Bible, And Succulents: In our twenty-fourth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: I have a new update from one of your fellow listeners!
Side Hustle School – Week 25:
- Ep. 170 – Nomad Family Cooks Up $40,000 Profit With Houseware Import Business: A traveling family creates a houseware reselling business using the Fulfillment by Amazon model, with profits going straight to their travel fund.
- Ep. 171 – Harvard Med School Program Manager Gets Paid To Travel To Italy: After yearning to spend more time back in her homeland, a med school program manager creates a side hustle centered around Italian food and culture.
- Ep. 172 – Put A Cap In It: Architect Makes The Write Choice; Starts Luxury Pen Hustle: A Texas-based architect turns a pen-making craft he learned from his grandfather into a profitable side hustle, getting featured in GQ Magazine.
- Ep. 173 – Wine Expert Loses Job; Becomes House Painter Earning $150,000/Year: After rejecting the extravagant spending associated with the high-end wine industry, an Alberta man looks to get back to his roots and ends up transitioning to something completely new.
- Ep. 174 – Avid Travelers Turn Finding Deals Into Vacation Planning Side Income: A couple in Washington, D.C. convert their passion for travel into a side hustle planning all-inclusive surprise vacations for those who lack the time to do it themselves.
- Ep. 175 – Lawyer Earns $400/Month With Stock Music Side Hustle: An online music marketplace offers a young lawyer an opportunity to fulfill his dreams of having his music heard, and also provides him with a new source of passive income.
- Ep. 176 – Weekly Recap: At What Point Should You Have A Website?: In our twenty-fifth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 26:
- Ep. 177 – Full-Time Mom Ships $35,000/Month In Frozen Bread On Amazon: The busy mother of a child on a specialized diet decides to take action and ‘liberate’ parents like her with her allergen-free food side hustle.
- Ep. 178 – Designer Illustrates Success With Personalized Wedding Products: A graphic designer in New York City taps into the wedding e-commerce market and turns her side hustle into full-time work bringing in multiple six-figures.
- Ep. 179 – Brand Strategist And Dentist Team Up To Sell Coconut Oil Mouthwash: Two friends draw on their combined skills and understanding of an ancient Ayurvedic practice to launch a natural mouthwash product, building a $7,000/month side hustle.
- Ep. 180 – $10,000 Side Hustle Helps Musician Land Full-Time Job: A classically trained musician creates affordable options for music students in search of quality music demos.
- Ep. 181 – Junk Removal Service Owner Earns $22,000 A Year From Real Estate Referrals: An entrepreneur stumbles on a low-tech, high-yield side hustle through his day job, and brings in an extra $22K annually handing out business cards.
- Ep. 182 – Bright Idea Leads Chicago Woman To Million-Dollar Hustle: A Chicago-based plastic recycling sales rep overcomes her fears and doubts to transform her love for DIY lamp shades and $10 in supplies into a multi-million dollar business.
- Ep. 183 – Weekly Recap: Who Has Helped You Along Your Journey? In our twenty-sixth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 27:
- Ep. 184 – Wedding Bells Ring Brighter If The Bride’s Not Broke: A New York professional rents high-end accessories to brides who want the glam without the buck.
- Ep. 185 – Midwestern Designer Offers Up A Feast Of Handmade Tableware: A farmer’s daughter finds a way to bring small-town hospitality to tables all around America, selling handmade linens and accessories that bring people together over meals.
- Ep. 186 – Hand Grippers Make For A $60,000-Strong Hustle: You won’t believe this gripping story: two married fitness enthusiasts capitalize on the niche grip strength market, earning extra cash and peace of mind for their growing family.
- Ep. 187 – Fire Roasted Coffee Dreams Lead To Big Beans: When searching high and low for fresh roasted coffee leaves a father in the Yukon with an empty mug, he starts making it himself and creates a side hustle caffeinating the masses.
- Ep. 188 – Side Hustle Turned Full-Time Job Disrupts Car Rental Industry: A corporate employee who enjoys saving on car rentals builds an affiliate project that becomes so successful that the car rental companies try to put it out of business.
- Ep. 189 – Lost & Found: How Lost Property Helps A Uk Woman Find Her Side Hustle: Tanya-Jane Park wasn’t looking for a side hustle when she went to a popular music festival, but when her friend lost her handbag, she managed to find one anyway.
- Ep. 190 – Weekly Recap: Face Painting, Hand Grippers, & Wedding Bells: In our twenty-seventh weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 28:
- Ep. 191 – 14 Year Old Cooks Up A Storm With $250 A Month Condiment Business: After being given a ‘write a business plan’ assignment for school, this 14-year-old created an actual business instead.
- Ep. 192 – Left-Handed Artist Creates Right-Brained Side Hustle: A New York-based art director has a difficult time finding a job that fits both her financial and creative needs, so she learns to think creatively with her ‘anything goes’ design hustle.
- Ep. 193 – Pilot’s Side Hustle Takes Flight With Aerial Tours: A pilot in the Pacific Northwest uses his love of the land and his skills in the air to create a profitable side hustle.
- Ep. 194 – London Chocolate Tours Lead To Sweet Success: Banking on a universal love of chocolate, a former temp worker creates a unique side hustle leading guided tours that allow tourists to eat their way through London’s chocolate shops.
- Ep. 195 – Birds Of A Feather Flock To Your Bank Account: A couple in Virginia ‘home’ in on a side hustle renting out white doves for weddings and special events.
- Ep. 196 – Yoga Mat Reseller Changes Lives While Earning $4,000/Month: After being inspired by social good companies like TOMS, a woman in London creates a yoga accessories business that focuses on empowering women worldwide.
- Ep. 197 – Weekly Recap: Free Video Training + How To Start A Workshop: In our twenty-eighth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 29:
- Ep. 198 – From London With Love: A Tale Of Diamonds And Espionage: From smuggling diamonds in a grocery bag on a fast moving train to secret meetings in the shadows of St. Paul Cathedral at sunset, this Special Agent dedicates her time to helping suitors looking for “yes.”
- Ep. 199 – Comic Creator Illustrates His Way To $30,000: A long love affair with the Sci-fi genre helps this side hustler build an empire—both imaginary and real—through his successful comic books and audio drama podcasts.
- Ep. 200 – High School Students Earn $10K In Profits Selling Bread At Farmers Markets: A brother-and-sister duo learns about entrepreneurship first hand when they create a side hustle baking and selling bread at their local farmer’s market. Each of them purchases their first car with the profits!
- Ep. 201 – Food And Travel Writer Creates Food Tours In Marrakech, Earns $60K Annually: In the North African city of Marrakech, an American expat starts a project that she hopes will earn $200/month in spending money. It ends up earning more than $5,000 a month.
- Ep. 202 – Physician Assistant Earns $12,000 In 10 Months Coaching Aspiring P.A.S: More than 20,000 people apply to Physician Assistant programs every year. This recent graduate gets paid to coach and prepare students for interviews.
- Ep. 203 – High School Teacher Turns Woodworking Hobby Into A 5-Figure Side Hustle: A high-school teacher turns his love for woodworking and business into lessons for his students, making a solid second income along the way.
- Ep. 204 – Weekly Recap: What Should You Name Your Side Hustle Idea?: In our twenty-ninth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: a listener asks about naming her side hustle.
Side Hustle School – Week 30:
- Ep. 205 – “Mommee Coffee” Becomes A $20,000/Month Side Hustle: Tired of the guilt associated with consuming coffee while pregnant and breastfeeding, a biomechanical engineer creates a line of coffee bean options that keep Mom happy and baby healthy.
- Ep. 206 – Law Student Helps Create A $6,500/Month Morning Routine Journal: Three friends create a side hustle helping others hack their morning habits for more productive mornings.
- Ep. 207 – Brooklyn Photographer Gets Paid To Throw Confetti At People: A former graphic designer turns a personal thirty-day challenge into a growing photography brand.
- Ep. 208 – Busy Marketing Professional Fills Niche With Biking Wine Tours: A marketing executive sees an opportunity to fulfill a niche tourism need in an up-and-coming wine region.
- Ep. 209 – Polish Bartender Makes Money While Drinking Beer: After being frustrated when setting up a bar for Virgin Atlantic, a Polish bartender living in the U.K. sets up an online shop to sell cocktail equipment.
- Ep. 210 – Saxophonist Hustles His Way To Back Injury Recovery: When a chronic back injury sidelines an Australian IT professional, he pulls out his saxophone and establishes three new sources of income.
- Ep. 211 – Weekly Recap: Shipping Options For International Goods (Live From Mexico!): In our thirtieth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: a listener asks about shipping options for importing items from far away.
Side Hustle School – Week 31:
- Ep. 212 – High School Junior Earns $10,000 Selling Autographed Baseballs: A Maryland high-school student parlays his love of baseball into a lucrative sports memorabilia side hustle.
- Ep. 213 – Holiday Body Butters Become $1,000/Month Side Hustle: An entertainment industry professional transforms her body butter holiday gifts into a quickly growing Etsy store and craft show side hustle.
- Ep. 214 – German Funeral Urns Are Not A Dying Business: Two friends in Germany create a side hustle manufacturing funeral urns that double as personalized works of art.
- Ep. 215 – Rocket Scientist Creates Herbal Side Income: Herbal medicine isn’t rocket science, but this rocket scientist discovers a side hustle when she turns to herbal medicine in order to treat her immune diseases.
- Ep. 216 – Dutch Personal Shopping Service For Kids Measures Up: This clothing subscription service delivers a box of children’s clothes to parents in The Netherlands each month. It’s a close-knit competition, but you’re tailored to win!
- Ep. 217 – Getting Charged Up: Man Creates One Adaptor To Rule Them All: Tired of a road warrior’s tangle of cables and plugs, a Hong-Kong-based entrepreneur makes chargers and adapters truly current.
- Ep. 218 – Weekly Recap: Baseballs, Rocket Science, And Personal Shopping: In our thirty-first weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: a listener asks about her dog’s Instagram account.
Side Hustle School – Week 32:
- Ep. 219 – Hungry, Hungry Hustlers Earn $25,000/Month Selling Paleo Bars: Frustrated by the lack of real food bars devoid of added sugar and weird ingredients they couldn’t pronounce, two hungry fitness enthusiasts create their own tasty paleo bars and hustle their way to multiple six-figures.
- Ep. 220 – Man Consults For Crowdfunding Campaigns After Successfully Raising $4 Million: After raising millions of dollars through crowdfunding at his day job, one man leverages his knowledge to start a side hustle helping others launch successful campaigns.
- Ep. 221 – Tv Producer Sells Monogrammed Scarves; Earns $1,000 Riding Subway: Trying to wrap the world in a little more love, a TV Producer starts a side hustle slinging personalized monogrammed scarves and giving a percent of her proceeds to charities benefiting education.
- Ep. 222 – Man Buys 100 Animal Skulls From Bali; Turns $10,000 Into $60,000: Fascinated by Balinese culture, a San Francisco native starts an import business to help preserve traditional art.
- Ep. 223 – Cat Lover Creates Cat-Tivating Portrait Series: A 21-year-old college student combines her obsession with pets and love for painting to pay her way through school with customized animal portraits.
- Ep. 224 – German Family Makes Money From Memorable Mementos: A German couple create a personalized jewelry shop taking the fleeting memories of childhood and turning them into gorgeous memories that last forever.
- Ep. 225 – Weekly Recap: Hungry Crossfitters, Monogrammed Scarves, & Cat Portraits: In our thirty-second weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 33:
- Ep. 226 – Craft Beer Fan Becomes Digital Bouncer: A Starbucks employee with a love for Pacific Northwest beer stumbles upon a profitable endeavor helping breweries become compliant with website age verification.
- Ep. 227- Animal Lover Breeds Rabbits; Graduates College Debt Free: No, it’s not a lop-sided story: this college student pays her way through school by raising rabbits. Hop to it!
- Ep. 228 – Fashionista Starts Boutique After Getting Fired While Pregnant: Upon losing her job, this Washington, DC government analyst and fashion lover didn’t panic… she started a side hustle.
- Ep. 229 – Bearded Man Grows $500 A Month Grooming Business: A man grows a beard, and the rest is history. We weren’t sure about this bearded side hustling story, but then it grew on us.
- Ep. 230 – Luxury Toothbrush Hustle Produces Polished Profits: Introducing the high-end toothbrush with low startup costs: this man earns $1,000 a month on the side. Total startup costs were just $760!
- Ep. 231 – Marketing Coordinator Realizes Lifelong Dream Of Starting Own Magazine: A new mother starts a magazine about bravery and vulnerability.
- Ep. 232 – Weekly Recap: Pay Attention To The Ideas In Your Head!: In our thirty-third weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 34:
- Ep. 233 – Fidget Spinner Cookie Sensation Leads To Sweet Profits: A media producer receives national attention when she tries her hand at making edible fidget spinner cookies.
- Ep. 234 – Bedridden Marketing Director Pops Tags At Thrift Shop: A marketing director for a Connecticut health facility converts her passion for unique, vintage finds into a reselling side hustle.
- Ep. 235 – Man Earns $85,000 Promoting Mexican Avocados On Snapchat: Low overhead and minimal time commitments earn big avocados for a geo-filter marketing service.
- Ep. 236 – Police Officer Funnels Frustration Into Six-Figure Hustle: A style-savvy police officer creates a fashionable subscription service serving men and women nationwide.
- Ep. 237 – Woman On Food Stamps Earns $86,000 Teaching People To Bake Bread: In the face of adversity, a woman creates a series of online courses teaching the art of baking sourdough bread. Stop loafing around! If she can do it, you can too.
- Ep. 238 – Woman Uses Language Skills To Import Moroccan Jewelry: Knowledge of local culture—and an extended Moroccan family—help an IT manager set up a side business importing and selling jewelry.
- Ep. 239 – Weekly Recap: 48 Hustle Ideas To Get You Started: In our thirty-fourth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 35:
- Ep. 240 – Tea Sommelier Turns Leaves Into Million-Dollar Business: A Canadian hospitality employee creates a line of tempting teas that grow to sell $30,000+ a month on Amazon.com.
- Ep. 241 – Blogger Turns Leftover Cherries Into $5,000/Month Income : After being diagnosed with diabetes, a food blogger creates a sugar-free line of ketchup alternatives.
- Ep. 242 – “Game Night In A Can” Makes $75,000 For Tv Producer: A crowdfunded project to bring LA comedy to households across the country becomes a big success.
- Ep. 243 – Language Teacher Becomes Fluent In Passive Income: Looking to add more time to her day, an avid language lover and teacher takes what she uses in the classroom to share it with a larger audience, earning $500/month in the process.
- Ep. 244 – New Mother Gives Life To Self-Care Coaching Business: In need of some routine before returning to her job as an Ultrasound Technician, a new mother creates a side business focused on self-care coaching.
- Ep. 245 – Man Sells $1,400 In Coffee To Neighbors With Nextdoor App: After teaching himself to roast coffee—nearly burning down his apartment in the process—a California man gets creative and uses a social network to grow his hustle.
- Ep. 246 – Weekly Recap: Work For $1,000 Or Make $500 Passively?: In our thirty-fifth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 36:
- Ep. 247 – Target Store Manager Makes $45,000 Per Month Writing A Blog: A college student starts a blog, grows it for 7 years while he works full-time at Target, and now makes more than half a million dollars a year.
- Ep. 248 – Protein Shake Lover Chomps Crickets For Six-Figure Income: We can’t stop chirping over this bodybuilder who uses an insect as the secret sauce in his protein powder side hustle.
- Ep. 249 – Introvert Builds Networking Experience To Help Women: A Denver transplant learns new skills and creates a networking group that now includes a podcast, magazine, and $30,000 in side income.
- Ep. 250 – Soccer Fan Plays The Odds; Earns Affiliate Commissions: A British soccer—er, football—fan sets up a blog that refers visitors to bookmakers. He gets paid for every referral, making this a project worth betting on.
- Ep. 251 – Brother-And-Sister Turn Dad’s Medical Practice Into Online Store: A dermatologist enlists the help of his whole family to create an ecommerce site.
- Ep. 252 – Managerial Accountant Earns $1,000/Month Hosting Poetry Slams: The road to riches may not be paved with poetry, but this Dubai accountant earns a healthy side income teaching workshops and producing performances.
- Ep. 253 – Weekly Recap: Deadlines Are Your Friends: In our thirty-sixth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A!
Side Hustle School – Week 37:
- Ep. 254 – Getting Investors Amped Just Takes A Little Jamming: A Toronto science teacher creates an attachable guitar amplifier that pairs with a smartphone, raising more than $250,000 and appearing on Dragon’s Den.
- Ep. 255 – Lawyer Creates Online Course For Mothers Returning To Work: For her first side hustle, a Washington, DC attorney creates an online course for new mothers returning to the world of work—and then finds a way to get employers to pay for it.
- Ep. 256 – Foodie Friends Blog Their Way To Free Stuff & Real Money: Two friends get paid to post photos of their lunch on Instagram. No, really!
- Ep. 257 – Outdoorsman Creates “Boat In A Backpack”: A construction project manager flies to China and invents a new kind of kayak that folds into its own backpack.
- Ep. 258 – Every Dog Has Its Side Hustling Day: Two sisters team up to create a side business with a social good component. It’s a dog-eat-dog world out there… are you working on your hustle?
- Ep. 259 – $8 Startup Costs Lead To $400,000 In Annual Revenue: A longtime side hustler finds a way to get paid—a lot—for improving people’s online reputations.
- Ep. 260 – Weekly Recap: Before Beginning, Prepare Carefully: In our thirty-seventh weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: two days until the book comes out!
Side Hustle School – Week 38:
- Ep. 261 – Former NFL Player Sells Ice Shakers For $20,000/Month Income: On a hot Texas day, this former football player gets inspired to create a water bottle. Within six months, it reaches $20,000 in monthly revenue.
- Ep. 262 – Friends Team Up To Sell Colorful Hammocks: After discovering the life-changing magic of colorful hammocks, a humanitarian based in Cambodia recruits two friends to import them to the U.S.
- Ep. 263 – Rogue Financial Analyst Earns $34,000 From Golf Membership Site: After losing his job, moving to Thailand, and starting a new career, this former financial analyst creates a golf membership site that currently earns $2,800/month in recurring, passive income.
- Ep. 264 – Father-Daughter Duo Sells Handmade Looms For Fun And Profit: A customer support manager sees her side hustling future looming off in the distance. You’d better be-weave it!
- Ep. 265 – Consultant Spends $200 On Advertising; Creates Million Dollar Leather Business: He hopes to show his clients an example of a successful business, but this consultant ends up with a million-dollar success of his own.
- Ep. 266 – Boyfriend’s Sloppy Penmanship Turns Into Outsourced Writing Business: He wanted to impress his new girlfriend’s family, but he couldn’t write a letter to save his life—so he started a handwriting side hustle instead.
- Ep. 267 – Weekly Recap: From Idea To Income In 27 Days: In our thirty-eighth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: THE SIDE HUSTLE BOOK IS OUT
Side Hustle School – Week 39:
- Ep. 268 – Woman Sells Hair Grips To Orthodox Jews & Drag Queens: It begins as a product for Orthodox Jewish women. It goes on to serve cancer patients, Broadway performers, and drag queens, earning “fringe benefits” and $4,000/month.
- Ep. 269 – Computer Teacher Turns $2 Of Pvc Plastic Into $800/Month: A childhood love of archery becomes a lifelong adult side business.
- Ep. 270 – Spanish Language Learner Earns $350,000 Helping Fellow Students: After returning to Canada following a stint in Argentina, this eager student creates a language-learning platform that earns $350,000 in year one.
- Ep. 271 – Writing Duo Makes A Vow To Improve Wedding Speeches: Two freelance writers use their wit with words to write wedding vows for tongue-tied brides, grooms, and sometimes even the best man.
- Ep. 272 – PR Consultant Launches California Restaurant Week: A PR consultant in Long Beach, California, earns an extra $20,000/year producing an annual “restaurant week” that brings together chefs and new diners.
- Ep. 273 – Friends Team Up To Create Student Care Package Hustle: Two college friends create StudyBox, a care package for all those late-night cram session needs.
- Ep. 274 – Weekly Recap: Author Visits 100 Cities; Records Podcast Every Day: In our thirty-ninth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A and updates from the road!
Side Hustle School – Week 40:
- Ep. 275 – 16-Year-Old Earns $10,000+ Selling Watches: After spotting an unusual watch design while on vacation in Aruba, this enterprising teen and a friend go on to hustle their way to making five-figures.
- Ep. 276 – University Lecturer Earns $2,000/Month Writing Children’s Books: An American teaching in Taiwan tells tales of foreign lands, packaging them in a series of books for children back home.
- Ep. 277 – Marketing Pro Earns Money Teaching People How To Shave: A Canadian man finds adventure and profit on the road to wet shaving paradise.
- Ep. 278 – Snapchat Filters For Weddings Lead To $1,400 A Month: After saving money on their wedding, a couple gets paid to help others plan theirs—focusing on the social media trend of geofilters..
- Ep. 279 – Farm Certification Specialist Turns Pottery Passion Into Hustle: What if you have more than one passion? It probably means you’re normal. In today’s episode, a California man integrates his love for agriculture and pottery.
- Ep. 280 – Boring Desk Job Leads To $14,000/Month Coffee Pod Biz: When a British man wonders why he can’t find Nespresso pods in other flavors, his curiosity leads to a pod-tacular side hustle that earns a full-time income.
- Ep. 281 – Weekly Recap: What If My Idea Is Already Taken?: In our fortieth weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A and updates from the road!
Side Hustle School – Week 41:
- Ep. 282 – Corporate Employee Makes $350,000 Selling Mosquito Wristbands: When mosquitos attack, this marketing manager creates a wristband to ward them off. The project is a swarming success!
- Ep. 283 – Designer Turns Bad Parking Into $25,000 Per Year: Ever been annoyed at someone who double-parks? This Los Angeles designer turned his frustration into a novelty gift item with growing sales.
- Ep. 284 – “dessert Goals” Team Creates Sweet Success: Two New York City event planners and dessert fiends create a festival series focused on their love of sugary goodness.
- Ep. 285 – Museum Educator Improvises From Day Job To Side Hustle: To make a living in the arts, this museum educator gets creative and says “Yes, and?” to the idea of her own hustle.
- Ep. 286 – Young Analyst Turns College Debt Into $100K Profit: While struggling to pay his student loans, this enterprising graduate finds a way to “round up” his spare change to a six-figure side income.
- Ep. 287 – Couple Turn Unwanted Furniture Into $1,000 Per Month: A couple in Ottawa learn to “upcycle” unused furniture, working extra hours whenever they want and getting paid for something they’d do for free.
- Ep. 288 – Weekly Recap: What’s The Best Platform To Sell On?: In our forty-first weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A and updates from the road!
Side Hustle School – Week 42:
- Ep. 289 – Marketer Creates Six-Figure Subscription Box Success: He looked for a simple solution for a client, and didn’t find one—so he spent the next year building it.
- Ep. 290 – Sneaker Fan Flips Shoes For $1,000 A Month: A trip to the mall at age 10 turns into a long-term hustle buying and reselling popular sneakers.
- Ep. 291 – Oregon Woman Gets Paid To Clean Animal Skulls With Flesh-Eating Beetles: You read that right. In this bone-rattling story, a woman earns up to $3,000/month cleaning animal skulls for hunters and horror shows. She’s bad to the bone!
- Ep. 292 – Artist Turns Daily Commute Into $5,000/Month Side Hustle: A painter uses her love for her hometown and her last $100 to start a side hustle creating art that pays real money.
- Ep. 293 – Travel Blogger Gets Paid Via Pinterest And Guidebooks: A nomadic employee writes a guidebook about Iceland and earns $10,000 after promoting it on Pinterest.
- Ep. 294 – German Agency Helps Designers Work Less, Make More: Noticing that new clients have lower budgets for web design, a woman in Berlin creates a series of low-cost kits.
- Ep. 295 – Weekly Recap: If Your Industry Changes, How Can You Adapt?: In our forty-second weekly recap, we’ll highlight the lessons learned in this week. Also: more listener Q&A and updates from the road!
Side Hustle School – Week 43:
- Ep. 296 – Musician Turns Drum Lessons Into Six-Figure Podcast: It starts with a drum set that his brother’s band left at his house for a month when he was a teenager—and it develops into a lifelong love of percussion and a major moneymaker.
- Ep. 297 – Minnesotan Earns $70,000/Year Teaching Wine Classes: When a lawyer demands tasting lessons from a wine store employee, the employee realizes there’s a demand for his knowledge. He eventually leaves his job to educate people about wine full-time.
- Ep. 298 – Australian Uses Online Classified Ads To Sell Wedding Flowers: After hearing about the Craigslist Wedding Photographer (Ep. 9), a woman in Australia books $7,500 in wedding clients for her newly-acquired floral arranging skills.
- Ep. 299 – Teachers Join Forces To Launch Nerd Summer Camp: Three teachers create an alternative camp for kids who aren’t interested in sports. The school keeps the profits the first year, but they get creative and find a way to pay themselves in year two.
- Ep. 300 – Program Manager Builds Conference into 6-Figure Business: A Silicon Valley employee fed up with his company’s lack of emphasis on improving workplace culture starts a conference. Two years later, it’s his full-time job.
I’ve been so happy to see the show finding a good home with the right people! A new episode arrives each morning at 6:01am EST. As promised, much more is on the way.